Wednesday, January 24, 2007

On Being Priveleged

Peggy McIntosh, a white woman who works in womens studies was thinking about how men don't acknowledge their priveleged status, which got her to start thinking about her own as a white person. The result is The White Privelege Checklist. Then Amp, a guy put together a Male Privelege Checklist. Three more I like are The Non-Trans Privelege Checklist, The Christian Privelege Checklist, and a group of str8 students contributed to the Daily Effects of Straight Privelege. It's nice to see people raising awareness about these issues, not as a matter of survival for themselves and their own communities, but out of some sense of honesty about privelege as an unearned reward.

I'd really like to see a non-sex worker do a non-sex worker privelege checklist - you know, 'I can tell others what I do for a living without either them thinking that they can make inappropriate sexual advances towards me, or that I have a history involving drug addiction, child abuse and domestic violence' or 'I can work from home as a self employed person without local councils sending in private investigators to check out my services, or without anyone thinking it will send the housing prices plummeting or contaminate their kids'. Any non-whores out there want to give it a try?

No comments: